before I begin I would like to thank the Temptations for allowing me to alter the title to their mega hit song Ball of Confusion. (millennials listen here)
So once again a Select Board meeting is upon us, Tuesday October 18, 2016, and those of us who wish to attend and be informed prior to the meeting are out of luck.
Both agendas have been posted (meeting agenda has been posted as minutes here) (consent agenda here). Sadly no further documents have been posted, Guess we can’t have informed residents showing up to the meetings and asking some tough cogent questions???
There are a few things on the regular meeting agenda that might interest a few people in town:
- First reading of complete streets policy: The Select Board will be discussing a policy that will encumber future Select Boards to consider adding improvements to our streets to accommodate every segment of users who may be using our streets (walkers, bike riders, skate boarders, atv’s…and so on). I think this is pretty important…don’t you?
- Discuss RV usage as long term housing: I would suspect that this could have a meaningful impact on our budgets. I think this is pretty important…don’t you?
- Select Board member Osgood will be discussing code enforcement practices: now I realize that everyone thinks that they are the masters of their private domain and you can do whatever you want on your property…I am here to inform you of this: YOU CANNOT DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO! A long, long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away a legislative body here in Henniker chose to give up most of its liberty and vote in a restrictive land use ordinance commonly known as Chapter 133 Zoning (you can read it here if you like). Now Mr. Osgood wants to discuss how the town should change, modify or alter the enforcement of this restrictive document...I would say that this is really really important…wouldn’t you?
The consent agenda has some interesting items that the Select Board has chosen not to forward on any pertinent trivial facts. In fact this is so trivial they have chosen not even to discuss these matter before us! I think some of us would consider them to be important details that effect our home lives…but hey call me kooky;
- Tax refund to a home of $2,239 and some change…I guess the reasons for that abatement must be kept secret. Too many of us knowing this loophole wouldn’t serve the purpose now would it?
- Sewer Assessments Collector’s Warrant…assessment is even pluralized! Sounds serious…don’t you think?
Oh sure…I am really excited…let us drive this buggy a bit more around the block BLIND FOLDED!
Remember folks…only we can make it change…and that requires all of us to, in our own way, respond.