Once again the budget hearings are upon us. On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 the Henniker Board of Selectmen help the public hearing regarding the 2017 proposed budget.
The Henniker School Board will hold a public hearing on its proposed 2017/2018 Henniker School District budget on February 15, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. The meeting will be held in the cafeteria at Henniker Community School, 51 Western Avenue, Henniker, NH 03242.
OHB thought it would be helpful to supply everyone a few helpful hints and a few links to documents that might help everyone understand how to evaluate our budgets.
- Town’s total property assessed evaluation for tax purpose is $393,513,800.
- Rule of thumb, to quickly calculate your tax rate per thousand simply use $393,513 in all of your calculations. For example Police Budget is $1,158,423.00/393,513= $2.93, Thus the currently proposed Police budget will create a tax of $2.93/$1,000 assessed valuation of your home. So, if you have a home assessed at $300,000, you would multiply 300x$2.93=$870. That is what your home would be charged as your portion of the police budget tax bill
Now if you intend to cut the budget keep the following in mind,
- In order to reduce the tax rate by $1.00 you would need to cut the budget by $393,513.
- For every reduction of $39,315 you shave off $0.10
- and for every reduction of $3,931 your reduce the budget by a penny.
Good luck and I hope to see YOU at the meetings!!
Henniker Tax Rate History read here
Henniker Proposed 2017 Budget read here
OHB…keeping it real… making it easier for you to find the facts so you can draw your own conclusions…PEACE!